Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a deceased relative or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Around 14% of the overall population, has loss of hearing
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are above 50 years old
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because health problems like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated loss of hearing. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new research being released all of the time. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in certain cases even reverse them).
And the final persuasive fact is that hearing loss can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings every year. But that cost can actually be decreased by up to 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may just not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a big impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to get into college and make a livable wage when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are lots of volunteer groups and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.